Here's a short list of deadlines for residencies, professional development, calls for papers, jobs & lots of different things you can apply for this fall that have a connection to China. We'll update this post regularly until December 20th, if you come across something that belongs here, please send us your tips to nihao [at] chinaresidencies.com!
RESIDENCIES & FELLOWSHIPS:
- Red Gate Residency in Beijing and Davidoff Arts are calling for artists from the Caribbean to apply for a two month residency in May & June 2017. Apply before September 4.
- Yale-China Arts Fellowship will fund two Hong Kong emerging artists for six month residencies in New Haven, Connecticut. Apply before September 18.
- Red Gate Residency & Yew Chung International School (YCIS) are calling for visual artists interested in working with high school students in Beijing for fully-funded residencies during the months of October and November 2016. Apply before September 18.
- CFCCA & K11 are calling for Manchester-based artists to apply for a fully-funded two week residency in Wuhan late October/early November. Apply before September 23.
- Red Gate Residency & Kooshk are calling for one Chinese and one Iranian artist to apply for fully-funded residencies in Tehran (December 2016) and Beijing (March 2017). Apply before September 30.
- Asialink Arts are calling for Australian citizens & residents to apply for residencies all over Asia. This year's partners in mainland China are the Shanghai Writers' Association (fiction writers), Organhaus in Chongqing (experimental & multimedia art), The Pottery Workshop in Jingdezhen (ceramics), and the Beijing Center for Chinese Studies (writing & arts management). In Hong Kong, apply for residencies at Videotage (new media & video art), the Hong Kong Fringe Club (arts management), and the Hong Kong Arts Centre (visual art). Applicants can also apply for self-initiated residencies at any of the other residencies in our network. Apply before October 3 [deadline extended from September 30.]
- Handshake 302 Baishizhou in Shenzhen and Africa Centre are calling for artists from the African continent to apply for a one to two month fully-funded residency in 2017. Apply before October 14 [deadline extended from September 30].
- Arc Space in Beijing is calling for curators, scholars, artists, and young researchers already based in China to submit proposals for two month residency projects around the theme of 'Remix'. Apply with projects to be completed by October 20.
- IFP in Beijing and Iaspis are calling for artists, architects and designers from or based in Sweden to apply for a fully-funded residency based around the topic of public space. Apply before October 20.
- The Pottery Workshop in Jingdezhen and Iaspis are calling for ceramic artists from or based in Sweden to apply for a fully-funded residency. Apply before October 20.
- I: project space in Beijing is calling for all kinds of artists in their first ever open call, for residencies between February and April 2017. Apply before October 23.
- The 3rd edition of our China Residencies Two to Three 二到三 residencies, for Australian citizens & residents who have been to China before and want to go back to a 2nd or 3rd tier city, is accepting proposals for fully-funded residencies at Organhaus in Chongqing in February & March and CEAC in Xiamen in January & February. Apply before November 1st.
- Red Gate Residency & the Bundanon Trust are calling for visual artists, writers, and other individual arts professionals who are Australian citizens or permanent residents to apply for a fully-funded residency in 2017. Apply before November 21st.
Wing On Wo & Co's The W.O.W Project & China Residencies are calling for creative people living in NYC to apply for a two month residency to create window displays for Chinese New Year at 26 Mott Street for the first 店面 Residency. Apply before November 22nd.
- Asian Cultural Council grants are available for projects in Archaeology, Film/Video, Architecture, Literature, Art History, Arts Administration, Museum Studies, Arts, Criticism, Music, Conservation, Photography, Crafts, Theater, Curation, Visual Art and Dance from people from and wishing to work in: Afghanistan, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Japan, Philippines, Bhutan, Korea, Singapore, Brunei, Laos, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Macau, Taiwan, China, Malaysia, Thailand, East Timor, Mongolia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Myanmar, United States, India, or Nepal. Apply before December 1st.
- M Literary Residency in Shanghai and Beijing is calling for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, screenplays
- and dramatic prose to apply for fully-funded residencies in 2017. Apply before January 2 2017
- Artists travelling on a #slowtrain to or in China can apply anytime for a virtual residency to takeover our Instagram account.
- PAPERS & RESEARCH:
- Association for Asian Studies (AAS) is calling for papers and roundtable session suggestions around the theme of "Asia in Motion: Beyond Borders and Boundaries" for their upcoming conference in Seoul in June 2017. Send proposals by October 31st.
- The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Greater China Research Programme at Asia Art Archive in Hong Kong is calling for researchers focused contemporary art from China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan to apply for grants. Apply by November 30 (deadline extended).
- Inter-Asia Cultural Studies (IACS) Conference is calling for papers around the theme of "Worlding: Asia Beyond/After Globalization" for their upcoming conference in Seoul in July 2017. Send proposals by January 31st 2017.
COMMISSIONS, EXHIBITIONS, BIENNIALS:
Public Art for Lujiazui Harbour in Shanghai is calling for proposals for funded public art projects. Apply before September 30.
JOBS & INTERNSHIPS:
CEFC (French Centre for Research on Contemporary China) seeking a researcher & editor-in-chief. Apply before September 20.
- CFCCA (Centre for Chinese Contemporary Art) in Manchester, UK is seeking a full-time research curator. Apply before September 23.
Red Gate Residency in Beijing is seeking a new residency director! Apply before November 30.
Asia Art Archive in Hong Kong is seeking a new head of research. Apply here.
- Creative Hunt in Shanghai is seeking a managing editor. Apply anytime.
- AIKE DELLARCO in Shanghai is seeking a PR and exhibitions manager. Apply anytime.
FESTIVALS / FAIRS / GOINGS ON:
Shanghai Project (phase I) September 2016 - April 2017
Hangzhou Triennial of Fiber Art August 25 - October 25
Photo Fairs Shanghai September 9 -11
Art in the City Festival (Shanghai) September 9 - October 9
Beijing One Arts Festival September 11 -17
16th Pingyao International Photography Festival September 19 - 25
Beijing Design Week September 23 - October 11
West Bund Art + Design Fair (Shanghai) November 9 - 13
Art021 (Shanghai) November 11 - 13
Shanghai Biennale November 11 - March 12
Nanjing International Art Festival November 12 2016 - February 12 2017
I SEE International Video Art Festival (Shanghai, Chongqing, Beijing) November 18 - 27