Here's a short list of deadlines for residencies, professional development, calls for papers, jobs & lots of different things you can apply to that have a connection to China. We'll update this post regularly until September 21st, if you come across something that belongs here, please send us your tips to nihao [at] chinaresidencies.com!
RESIDENCIES & FELLOWSHIPS:
- Charcoal Home, a new artist residency in Zhanjiang, is calling for visual artists for the months of September and October. Apply before July 10.
- The Kunming Municipal Propaganda Department and record label Modern Sky are calling for five musicians to spend four to six weeks in Kunming in August and September to work with with Kunming Nie Er Symphony Orchestra for the first edition of their All in One residency program. Apply via email to 方言 email@example.com and 朱晓玉 Judy firstname.lastname@example.org by July 10.
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship in Hong Kong is calling for proposals for a 3 to 6 month fellowship investigating issues relating to design and architecture in the Greater Pearl River Delta region. Apply before July 22.
- The Singapore National Arts Council and Culture Link are calling for two performing arts producers from or based in Singapore to apply for their Creative Producers Development Program for 8 week residencies with Ping Pong Productions in Beijing and Parnassus in New York. Apply by July 31st.
- The 3rd Crystal Ruth Bell Residency - Re: Search at Red Gate Residency in Beijing is taking applications from curators, writers, researchers, documentary filmmakers, photographers, choreographers, chefs, designers, developers, activists, scientists, architects, and all kinds of visual artists who based their practice in research for a two month fully-funded residency in November & December. Apply before July 31.
- Institute For Provocation (IFP) and the Australia Council for the Arts are calling for Australian artists to apply for a fully-funded residency in Beijing from October 1 to December 1. Apply before August 8.
- i: project space in Beijing and the Asia New Zealand Foundation are calling for New Zealand artists to apply for three-month fully-funded residencies in 2017. Apply before August 28.
- Handshake 302 Baishizhou in Shenzhen and Africa Centre are calling for artists from the African continent to apply for a one to two month fully-funded residency in 2017. Apply before September 30.
- Red Gate Residency in Beijing and Davidoff Arts are calling for artists from the Caribbean to apply for a two month residency in May & June 2017. Apply now.
- Videotage in Hong Kong will soon be opening up applications their 2016-2017 FUSE residency program for artists working across media art, science, and engineering.
- Pantocrátor just moved from Shanghai to Suzhou and is calling for artists of all disciplines to apply for one to three month residencies in their new space. Apply anytime.
- Artists travelling on a #slowtrain to or in China can apply anytime for a virtual residency to takeover our Instagram account.
- PAPERS & RESEARCH:
- The Journal of Chinese Contemporary Art is calling for abstracts on "The Arts of China's Cultural Revolution" by July 1st.
- Asia Europe Foundation ASEF is looking to commission reports on arts and disability in Asia and cultural mapping of the 10 ASEAN countries. Apply by July 31st.
- The Global Cultural Leadership Programme, held in Malta, October 16 - 21, is looking for outstanding cultural managers from Brazil, Canada, China, Japan, India, Mexico, Russia, South Africa, South Korea and the USA. Apply by August 7.
- Inter-Asia Cultural Studies (IACS) Conference is calling for papers around the theme of "Worlding: Asia Beyond/After Globalization". Send proposals by January 31st 2017.
FESTIVALS & PUBLIC ART ::
The Australia Council for the Arts will bring a delegation of 10 to the Shanghai International Arts Festival and Performing Arts Fair October 11 - 16. Australians can apply to join before August 8.
Independent Art Spaces Beijing is back for a second edition from August 20 to 28.
The 16th Pingyao International Photography Festival will take place from September 19 - 25.
Public Art for Lujiazui Harbour in Shanghai is calling for proposals for funded public art projects. Apply before September 30.
JOBS & INTERNSHIPS:
Capital M, a restaurant in Beijing that hosts a literary festival and many cultural events, is hiring a part-time Beijing-based and bilingual person with a minimum of 3 years experience in event sales/marketing or PR to join their team. Apply anytime.
- M+ in Hong Kong is seeking interns in all departments and performing arts, as well as an assistant curator for the 2017 Venice Biennale. Apply before August 26.
SUPPORT A PROJECT:
- Donate to 'Save the Chinese Typewriter' on Kickstarter before August 4.
- Volunteer for a one-off performance of 'The Yellow Umbrella - An Unfinished Conversation' at Islington Mill in the UK on 17 August. Get in touch.
- Support Roopa Vasudevan's #slowtrain residency on the Trans-Siberian Express. Follow on Instagram & donate here!