The Residency program at Contemporary Yunnan (943 studio) seeks to build a platform for Yunnan artists to communicate widely through inviting international artists to Kunming, communicating with local artists, providing diversified reference and mutual promotion for the local art environment, and creating conditions for communication across diverse fields and geographical areas. Lectures, art presentations, workshops and open studio are some of the forms for broad and deep interactions among artists, students and the public. Since 2010, the program has cooperated with the Zurich Municipal Government, Korean Traditional Performing Arts Foundation, Dong Xi Gallery in Norway, and the Loft Jin Ding 1919 art community in Kunming.
All visual artists are eligible.
Send a brief work plan (describing project ideas, how will you plan to work with local cultural and natural spaces and habitats,) pictures of 10 recent artworks (jpg.format or PDF file), and one brief curriculum vitae (no more than one A4 page.)
Applications are accepted via email or via post, mailed to:
Contemporary Yunnan, A Zone, Loft Jin Ding 1919 , North Jin Ding Shan Road 24#, Kunming 650031, Yunnan, P.R. China
Our establishment includes a 120m2 Gallery, a 125m2 Comprehensive independent cultural experience store & cafe, and three private studios. They are located in a loft style creative cultural/industrial community in northwest of Kunming. The community has workshops, restaurants, bars, and a guest hotel.
We have two private studios, sized 25sqm and 15sqm with 5.5m ceilings.
We have two fully furnished guest apartments in a residential quarter, a 15 minutes bus (or 13 minute bicycle) distance from the studio, with convenient access to transportation, supermarkets and a bank. Each apartment is approximate 80m2, and with two bedrooms.
The apartments are provide with:
1) one private bedroom for each resident artist
2) fully-equipped shared kitchen
3) fully-equipped shared bathroom
4) simple but comfortable furniture
5) purified drinking water
6) washing machine
7) wireless Internet connection (please bring your own laptop)
8) 1 bicycle
9) a local SIM card (only SIM-card compatible mobile phones function in China.)
This program is managed on a non-profit basis. Participants are requested to cover costs of accommodation, studio space, administration etc. For program fees, preliminary enquiries, and application submissions please email the Residency Program Director.
The fee includes housing in one of the apartments (electricity, water, gas, and Internet access included,) studio space, comprehensive Kunming orientation, personnel assistance as described above and administration.
The fee does not include personal food, artist’s materials, written translation for lectures or workshops or any publications.
The fee is due in full paid in cash when you arrive.
The residency program does not include costs for solo exhibitions. However, it is possible to arrange exhibitions, the artist is required to fun the basic expenses for the exhibition.
The length of residencies range from 1 month to 6 months. We prefer to take bookings by the month and recommend a period of two to three months as optimal. Applications are received on a rolling basis. Although at times we may have last minute space available, our facilities commonly fill 6 months in advance, so we encourage you to apply early.
We offer the following services to our residents:
1) Airport pick-up/ transportation to the guest apartment.
2) Guide to the police office for registration
3) Information about how to live in Kunming, how to order food, use taxis and buses, how to get to know the city, etc.
4) Welcome dinner and farewell dinner.
5) Local guide to help you buy art materials.
6) Opportunities to meet with other artists and visit other studios and local museums.
7) Help with arranging lecture or workshop in art academies (lecture plans must be submitted 7 months in ahead of time and then be confirmed by us).
8) How to stay healthy and where you can find western doctors if needed.
9) A bicycle, if needed.
10) Personnel assistance both in artistic preparation and daily living. Interpretation and orientation assistance for a day can be arranged, the artist shall provide the day’s lunch and transportation fare. This type of assistance can be provided no more than 8 hours/week.
10) Wireless Internet in apartment, Gallery and Store.
11) Basic travel information and hotel booking in Yunnan province. Help with ordering plane tickets within China.
12) Assistance with how to call abroad using an IP card.
13) Help with the printing of catalogues or postcards (extra service fee will be charged.)